SnapShooter, now part of DigitalOcean, has been at the forefront of simplifying cloud backups for startups and small and medium businesses (SMBs). SnapShooter’s easy, frequent and customizable backups are designed for peace of mind so that SMBs can recover from data disasters swiftly. Today’s cloud landscape is not just about virtual machines or storage, it is also about containers, managed databases, microservices, Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) and more. To make granular cloud backups possible across the cloud ecosystem, today we are excited to announce new SnapShooter features… These new updates enable cloud-native startups and SMBs to maximize the benefits of the modern cloud without worrying about data loss.
Docker is a popular container-based tool to package and deploy applications. It has made application development easy, portable and agile. However, backing up data within the container can be tricky because the host server can’t access these resources easily.
Our new Docker backup features in SnapShooter includes features such as:
- Back up data in named volumes with ease.
- Database backups now cover both host and containers. If you are running Postgres, MySQL or MongoDB in Docker, you can now backup and restore your database even when it is running via a container. All you have to do is enable the container option when configuring the backup job.
- SnapShooter’s Docker backup feature optimizes these backups by extracting only the relevant contents of the database.
Docker backups can be accessed via Backup jobs in SnapShooter. Just point to the host and select the volumes you want to backup. When restoring, first you should restore the volume, and then run your docker containers (e.g. Docker Compose). That way, the application can use the restored volume right away.
SnapShooter’s agent server is now in early availability. Agent server is a lightweight piece of software that users can install in their environment for enhanced backup coverage and flexibility. Here is why SnapShooter users should consider using the agent server:
- Backing up data in PaaS containers is now much easier. Agent server can be bundled in the image deployed on PaaS products such as DigitalOcean App Platform, AWS Fargate, fly.io, Heroku etc.
- Agent server enables you to run backup for applications behind a network address translation (NAT) gateway. For example, data in virtual private cloud (VPC) from vendors such as AWS or GCP or behind a virtual private network (VPN).
- Agent server makes backing up cloud data that resides behind a firewall much simpler. Instead of adding SnapShooter IP to the whitelist and monitoring it for changes, the agent server makes backups for such scenarios plug and play.
Find out more about using SnapShooter agent server here.
Whether you run an agency, an ecommerce business or a blog using WordPress, Cloudways makes it easy to build a website that can accelerate your business growth. SnapShooter now enables you to back up your Cloudways application with ease and customize it to your needs:
- Supports WordPress, Laravel, Woocommerce, Magento, and PHP applications.
- Choose whether you want to back up all your apps or only the critical ones.
- Retain your backups for as long as you want them to.
- Your backups stay even if you delete your application. Whether you are migrating to a different cloud provider or creating a new website, it’s easy to restore your app data.
- Works with all cloud providers supported by Cloudways – DigitalOcean, AWS, GCP, Vultr and Linode.
DigitalOcean Managed Databases are a powerful and scalable way to host databases for your apps without the hassles of database administration. Managed Databases come with free automated backups and you can restore data to any point within the previous seven days. If you desire more flexibility in backing up your DigitalOcean Managed Databases, SnapShooter provides custom backup policies, longer retention, target storage of your choice, and allows you to download backups.
With SnapShooter’s latest update to database backup, setting up backups of DigitalOcean databases only takes a few clicks
- More DigitalOcean managed databases are now supported by SnapShooter, including MySQL, PostgreSQL and MongoDB.
- Firewall rules for databases are now auto-configured.
- Setting up DigitalOcean database backups in SnapShooter now takes just four clicks. If you’ve already connected your DigitalOcean account, look for Databases in the Snapshots menu on the left, under DigitalOcean.
Get started with simple, frequent and customizable backups of your cloud data. If you are a DigitalOcean customer, you can add SnapShooter via our marketplace. Our annual plans help you save up to 34% on SnapShooter subscription. If you’d like to have a conversation about using SnapShooter for your business, please feel free to contact our sales team.
*Early availability releases may not be appropriate for production-level workloads. We encourage users to use simulated test data and avoid running sensitive workloads in early availability releases.